Monday, February 22, 2010

Anonymous…

Why would anyone write an anonymous letter? Or a poem? Why would someone not want to give his or her name to an expression, a feeling, a thought or an act?

I wonder…! Why would we chat so freely online while we are shy and reserved in real? Is it coz we are anonymous? We are just an Id; a virtual name, that could be anything… and more importantly, hide, go invisible or totally disappear if need be!

Why don't we be the very person we are when we have the liberty of being anonymous? Or is it that we put up an act in public, in society; and be our actual selves when the cloak of invisibility is donned?

It was an incident that made me wonder; an incident where I had the chance of being an anonymous stranger! I was chatting with someone, and having never met before, never even exchanged pictures or personal details, I could choose to present myself any way it pleased my honorable self…

I often notice that in the virtual world, it is very easy to find people do away with their inhibitions… Is it because we feel that the consequences are not so real? What about the general ethos of establishing a relationship? When you meet someone, it is the verbal and the non verbal communications that help the other person form a perception about you. But when you meet online, what of gaining the confidence of the person spoken to? What of his intentions when pursuing a chain of topics;  his very purpose of initiating the conversation!?

Its the conversation over the last few days that makes me wonder so! I hope that the more I communicate, the clearer the picture will be for us… to know ourselves, our intentions and our objectives… collectively and individually.

I hope and I pray. For myself, for us, and for all.

2 comments:

  1. i dont knw if i hav an ans to it bt i feel being anyi dont knw if i hav an ans to it bt i feel being anonymous gives u a chance to be what u always wanted.. be your inner self...be wot u wud hav been or wud love to witout the fear of the world... or even be a character or a person they wud love to be in shoes of...

    things apart i also feel if a person does this often...i mean living in illusion thn he or she is a coward...afraid of reality n afraid to change it...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you have to be anonymous to be your true self; then I think it is a very difficult life you lead..!

      Delete